LUMECCA (IPL) Pre and Post Care
Thank you for choosing and trusting us with your care. It is our mission to work with you to achieve the best results by implementing a uniquely tailored treatment course optimized for your individual priorities and health. The following instructions will assist in achieving the best results from Lumecca Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments. Please take a moment to review this information and go over any questions or concerns you may have with us before your appointment. You may email, text or call us with any questions. It is recommended that you seek medical attention from you family physician if you have concerns about specific skin lesions or changes in skin prior to beginning Lumecca sessions.
Things to Know Before Lumecca (IPL)
- It is imperative that you avoid sun exposure and tanning beds for at least 4 weeks prior to your treatment. This is a must and no exceptions will be made.
- Avoid applying self-tanner for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid aspirin and Ibuprofen for one week prior to your treatment. Inform the doctor if you are taking blood thinners or regularly take aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Avoid alcohol for 2 days prior to treatment.
- Inform us if you have taken Accutane (oral acne medication) in the past year.
- On treatment day, please arrive with clean skin, no lotions, creams or makeups.
- Store ice packs in your freezer for use after your procedure.
What to Expect During Lumecca
- Your skin may be temperature sensitive for several days after treatment.
- Brown spots and freckles will appear darker while healing.
- It will take 4-6 weeks to see the full result and 2-3 treatments may be required to achieve an optimum result.
- The sessions are designed to provide no downtime however, occasionally you may find that your cheeks and under eye areas are slightly puffy after treatment. You may use cold compresses (5 minutes on and 10 minutes off) several times an hour to help ease both redness and swelling.
- Sleeping with your head elevated for the first night will also help decrease any swelling you may experience.
- Blistering and crusting are rare; however, if these do occur a thin layer of over-the-counter antibiotic ointment such as Polysporin® can be applied 2-3 times a day for 3 days. Please call us if you experience either of these uncommon reactions.
- Hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin color) can occur in some skin types. Please call us if you experience this uncommon reaction.
Post Lumecca (IPL)
- Avoid extended exposure for 7 days post-treatment.
- Use mild cleansers and moisturizers.
- Avoid Aspirin, Ibuprofen, alcohol, heavy exertion and activities which may cause flushing for 2 days after treatment.
- Avoid harsh topical products such as retinols and glycolic acid products for one week after.
- Avoid direct sunlight on the treated area and use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen of SPF 30 or greater for 4 -6 weeks after your treatment.
- Anticipate some social down-time following your treatment.